Mike wrote:
How do I completely get rid of OOO?  I can not use it and have
installed MS office but the computer continues to try and open doc's
with OOO and of course there are errors.  In the add/remove programs,
I don't see additional items to remove.  Please help in the complete
removal of this program.

The add/remove should do a quite complete removal.

When I select open with MS word the document does not translate and I
get symbols and letters on the page.

Maybe that documents are not in MS Word format, but in OOo one. You can usually tell this from the icon. You can also usually tell it by the extension (last three letters of the name, after a dot) if windows is not hiding it.

Mike Almond 469-293-5861

I'll advice you to reinstall OpenOffice, try to open the problematic files, and saving them again as MS Word documents. Use the File->Save as menu, and select "MS Word 97/..." in the file type box.

Then check that you can open your files in MS Word, and only after that uninstall Openoffice (the add/remove programs should work, or at least it always did for me).

Javier.