Natalie,

You don't need to buy any software.  You are probably saving your
files in the OpenOffice format, which MSOffice will not read.  By
saving the file as an MS file, you'll be able to share your files
easier.

1. Open a file you want to share with an MS user.
2. From the main menu bar, select File->Save As
 -A popup window will open up
3. Select the location you wish to save to.
4. At the bottom of the popup window is a drop-down menu labeled 'Save
as type:' (It's next to    the Cancel button on my version). From this
menu, select 'Word 97/2000/XP (.doc)'.
5. Push the 'Save' button.

Now you'll have 2 versions saved, one for OO and one for MS.  You can
give your friends the MS versions.

--Doug

On 6/14/05, Natalie Shively <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We bought a computer with XP and OpenOffice.org about 6 months ago.
> Every time we try to attach a file through email, the recipient
> complains that it cannot be opened.  How come our program is not Word
> compatible (since that's what most people use)?  Can we fix this
> without having to buy more software?  What about Excel spreadsheets
> also?
>
> Please help, as I have someone waiting on a resume.
> Thanks.

Douglas Hernandez
(612) 331-2547