On 31/12/2009 06:43, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
On 30/12/09 13:08, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
On 29/12/2009 23:54, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
My environment is OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Linux, Fedora 12.

The scenario is the following:

1. File -> New -> Labels

2. Select Brand: Avery A4
and Type: L7160
Press "New Document"

3. Format -> Page

4. As you may see the page format is set to "User" which has a geometry
different from "A4". If the final labels are printed with page format
"User" they come out wrongly. If, however, the page format is changed to
"A4", printing is correct.

This happens every time I make new labels, Sometimes I forget to set the
page format to "A4" and consequently ruin a whole bunch of labels. I bet
there must be a way to change this silly default but I haven't been able
to find how. Maybe it's a bug. Who knows?

It appears to be by design. The page size is apparently calculated from
a summation of the individual label frame sizes, plus the guttering
between them. Obviously no gutter is required to the right of the
right-most label and also below the last row, hence the anomalous page
size.

A quick test with O.Oo 3.2 produces identical output, irrespective of
the page format being "User", or A4. This is logical, as the right and
bottom margins are irrelevant to the printed output.

I should say that this test was under Windows, but I'll conduct a
follow-up test with Linux (Ubuntu) later today.

User format has a page width of 20.57 cm whereas the page width of A4 is
21.00 cm. So User width is .43 cm smaller and it looks like this amount
is taken from the left side of the page *not* the right side in which
case the output would have been identical. Maybe this behaviour is a
difference between Windows and Linus.

I'm sorry to say I've given up on fedora. I tried to use the Live CD version but it would not successfully install OO.o, so then I tried a full installation in a VM under VirtualBox and that was so buggy that I didn't reach the point of being able to install OO.o. It can't be as bad as it seems, given the user base, but my patience is somewhat thin when confronted with this level of irritation.

However your problem is not Linux per se. OO.o 3.1.1, as released via Ubuntu, functions perfectly under both the 64 bit and 32 bit variants of Ubuntu 9.10. This suggests to me that you may have inadvertently introduced a language element that uses right to left writing, perhaps in your locale, or in the OO.o Options setup? Sorry I can't be of more help.

Peter HB