On 01/01/2010 11:32 AM, NoOp wrote:

> If it is a new install, or an upgrade from 9.04:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org
>
> If it is not, then you might try:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall openoffice.org
>
> and of course the recommended java(s).
>
> As others have mentioned, Base does not get installed by default which
> is pretty silly, but Ubuntu state that it is due to CD space limitations
> on the installer CD. Samples:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/333003
> [OOo mail merge doesn't work in default install - needs Base]
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/93546/comments/31>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/93546/comments/32>
> [[upstream] Openoffice.org Address data sources missing]
> Note: you might find reading through that last bug of interest.

Sorry, I should add that the openoffice.org package is only a 13.9Mb
download & it seems to me that Ubuntu could have left something else off
the default packages in order to include this on the installer CD. Note
that it is also left off the DVD as well... so you might want to file a
bug on launchpad. I suspect there already is one, so search launchpad first.