On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:19:36 +0100
Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knu...@gmail.com> dijo:

>2010/1/1 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knu...@gmail.com>:

>>> Actually you might want to thank John Jason Jordan (JJJ) as he's
>>> the one the suggested changing the font... I just led you to where
>>> it is :-)
>>
>> Well, I didn't express myself very clear, but my intention was to
>> thank everyone for contributing with ideas and testing, but of course
>> JJJ deserves an extra thank for solving my problem. Thanks again JJJ,
>> if you read this!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>

>>> All the best & Happy New Year(s).
>>>
>>> Gary

>Even this new version of FreeSans seems to be incomplete. Characters
>like musical symbols doesn't show up when Bold or Italic, but FreeSans
>Normal works fine. Those characters are, among others: π„žπ„†π„‡β™―β™­π„π„Žπ„‚
>(Hopefully they display in this email). Well, it's not an
>OpenOffice.org issue, but rather an FreeFonts issue, I guess, so my
>problem is solved anyway, in the way that I now know why this happens.

It is not at all unusual for a font designer to include more glyphs in
the Regular version of a face than in the italic, bold, and bold-italic
fonts.

I am testing your  π„žπ„†π„‡β™―β™­π„π„Žπ„‚  glyphs with Scribus, which will not fake a
glyph. I find that none of these glyphs appear in even the Regular
version of FreeSans. That is, OOo is faking the glyphs by borrowing
them from some other font. I wish I knew how it does this, because it
drives me nuts.

As for why OOo does this, it does it because MS Office has always done
so. And on recent versions of the MacOS the ability to substitute a
glyph from another font for a missing glyph in the font being used is
built into the operating system. Apparently users find this "feature"
useful.

Can you post the Unicode values for the glyphs above? With the Unicode
values I can check the font in FontForge and then we'll know for sure
if the font contains the glyphs.