On Jan 18, 2010, at 06:19 , Bob Barrie wrote:

> TO whom it may concern: It was my understanding that Open Office was a sort
> of stand in to Windows Word, in that I would be able to utilize Open Office
> spreadsheets similar to Excel and, in fact prior Excel files would be
> somewhat the same format that Open Office uses. Open Office spreadsheets
> would be interchangeable with Excel documents. Also Word and Open Office
> documents would also be interchangeable.
>
> I have spent a good amount of time trying to find out how this system works,
> and I have yet to even seen a document or spreadsheet or any other
> indications that Open Office is essentially totally compatible with Windows
> Word & Excel. I thought I would be able to  get right down and create my own
> spreadsheet or letter or other document. Instead what I have seen so far is
> nothing but text explaining various projects that users are engaged in. Are
> there two different Open Office Programs or am I missing something.
>
> All I want is to be able to write letters and documents and use spreadsheets
> that are similar to and are the same as my Excel files.
>
> Please explain

Robert, it's not entirely clear from your email that you have actually
downloaded the program.  It sounds almost as if you have been led away into the
realms of release notes, hints and tips and so on.

Surf to http://openoffice.org and click on the link that says 'I want to
download OpenOffice.org'.  This should offer you the appropriate software for
the operating system that you are using when you surf there - I'm assuming from
various hints that you are using some variety of Windows.  When you've
downloaded the file, double-click on it, and Open Office will be installed on
your computer.  Then you can test it.  You can click on Calc and open a blank
spreadsheet and do whatever you want, you can choose Writer and open a normal
word-type document and so on.  Or you can open one of these and choose
File/Open and find a spreadsheet or Word document you created with Microsoft
Office, and open that.

There may be some slight differences, for example if you have used a MS Office
font that isn't included in Open Office, you might see a close approximation
from the Open Office fonts, but the basic rule is that if it will open in MS
Office it will open in Open Office.

When you've tested things, if you have any further questions, come back and ask
them, and we'll try and help.  It could be useful for you to tell us what
operating system you are using.

Best regards

James