The .org part is due to copyright reasons, look on wikipedia.

Sent from my iPod

On Jan 19, 2010, at 2:25 PM, "McLauchlan, Kevin" <[email protected] > wrote:


Hey all,

I've seen a few requests for help with some of the same
suggestive language as was used by Mr. Barrie recently.

I wonder if we have a generalized communication problem, here.

Many people are not previously aware of OpenOffice because of
how they have been previously exposed-to/sheltered-from computer
stuff.
Many people have bumped into limitations of working with MSOffice
files in multiple locations or on multiple platforms and lately
they've been hearing buzz about the Google Docs offering and
other online or 'cloud' document creation/editing/storing services.

So, they come looking for an online service in order to do
their writing and spreadsheet chores from anywhere at any
time...   and they find something that calls itself
'OpenOffice.org'

That's a domain name.

Really.

It follows the pattern for domains (and web addresses) for
non-profits and other organizations that aren't interested
in being corporations (or narrowly associated with specific
countries, etc., etc.)  Yes, I know you know that, but
I'm making a point.

Why anybody ever thought it was smart to tack that ".org"
onto the end of "OpenOffice" as part of the APPLICATION
name, I'll never understand.

Sure, that's a fine and descriptive moniker for a group...
yes, an ORGanization ... that develops and tests and
distributes an application. And for the website that
represents that group or organization. No argument there.

But c'mon. How silly is it to name your 'product' after
your organization, _including_ the part of your organization
title that SAYS it's an organization?
It's just as sensible as if some company had named
their product ClosedOffice.Inc.

"Download and run ClosedOffice.inc"  "Click here for the
explanation of why we thought it would help understanding
and widespread acceptance/adoption of our lovely product
if we gave it an extension that everybody and his dog
recognizes as meaning "incorporated", but we mean something
counter-intuitive by it."
"We are Humpty-Dumpty; confusing you is how we have fun - you
should feel privileged."

Anyway I do understand why people would be making this sort of
mistake... we're asking for it.  Expect more of it. It's not
at all an unreasonable expectation.

It also occurs to me to wonder how many people arrive at the
website, see the name of the PROGRAM, and just move on, having
decided "that can't be what I'm looking for - I'm looking for
a program to go on my computer instead of Microsoft Office.
Well, back to my Google search..."   Too bad the site-stats can't
reveal that.


- Kevin


The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
may be privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected
from disclosure. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by replying to this
message and deleting it from your computer without copying
or disclosing it.



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to