On 2010-01-21 22:46 jonathon wrote:
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 23:31, Eustace  wrote:

What impresses me now is the ability of FF/TB to display the character. How on
earth do they do it?

Font substitution.

BTW, the first datum is "probably" because I do not know your fonts. what are
your default font in OOo in Ubuntu and in Mac?

The other thing that makes a difference, is which fork of OOo is being
used.   One of them --- and I've forgotten which one --- has the  very
nasty habit of using glyphs from a different font, but not providing
any indication that that has been done.

jonathon

Thanks. Your explanations open up new avenues of exploration.

In the OOo help, I had a look at Font / Replacement table. I saw that when the Always and the Screen only checkboxes are both left blank, the Replacement action is "Font replacement on screen and when printing, but only if font is not available."

I would prefer to find a monospace replacement to Liberation Mono, but until I find one the Deja Vu Sans will have to do. So I checked "Apply replacement table", inserted: Font: Liberation Mono, Replace with: Deja Vu Sans, clicked the green checkmark, the 2 fonts appeared in the table below, and clicked OK without checking any checkbox.

Than I tried to copy and paste the character from my message in OOo where I have Liberation Mono as default font, but it did not work.

Does "only if font is not available" mean if the font of the document does not exist in the computer, or if the font does not have a particular character?

Also, it's the first time I hear about OOo forks. Does it mean developers' versions of OOo that haven't become official?

emf

--
It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/bd/itaintmebabe.html