I'll add my $0.02 to this thread...

I liked the simple idea of defining a range, then in cell A1 simply
putting the result of the range. Assuming that column 'D' is defined
as a named range of "balance" :

=sum(balance)

will sum all rows within the range.  this can handle blank rows,
negative and positive values.

If you have debits in one column and credits in another you then
simply select both columns and define the range (as "2columnbalance"
). The entry in A1 is still the same ( =sum(2columnbalance) )

/paul