I have a Master Document in which I have included 20 subdocuments, one for each
chapter.  When I do a check of File/Properties in the Master Document, I get
the answer 70906 words.

I also have a spreadsheet, where I have entered the number of words for each
chapter and created a running total.  In this I get the answer 72520 words.

Now if anything, the value of the Master Document should be larger, since I
have noticed that there is a 5 word add-on for a header, which I have in the MD
but not in the chapters.  Additionally I have a title page in the MD, which
does not, admittedly have many words, but is not included in the chapters.  And
finally, there are four subdocuments, which I have not yet written, and for
which I have zero words in the spreadsheet, but which actually include two
words each, 'Chapter' and the number of the chapter.  All these should result
in the MD having a higher value than the sum of the individual documents, yet I
have a difference of over 1600 words by which the subdocuments are larger.

Does anyone have any idea why?  To be sure, 1600 words in 70000 is not worth
arguing about, but it's the principle of the thing!

OOo 3.1.1 on MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6.2.

//J