James,

Please don't retail misinformation. I run the Mac version (2.6.7). I have it
open right now. When I click on the Menu item (or use Shift-F1), a question
mark appears. When I click on a UI element, the help window for that element
opens in my browser, at url
file://localhost/tmp/skl/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/share/gimp/2.0/help/en/index.html.
If you open the Gimp.app package and navigate
to Contents/Resources/share/gimp/2.0/help/en/, you will find the help files.
This, by the way, is precisely the way Photoshop Elements help works (I just
tried it on my laptop).

John