On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 22:49:13 +1300, Michael Adams wrote:

> On Thursday 04 February 2010 11:02, Linda Lowther wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> Thank you very much for open office.  I need to open and print a
>> presentation for work that is in created in Word. When I try to open
>> the completed presentation it looks like codes, etc.  I know that open
>> office says it is compatible and you can open a word document. Do you
>> have any suggestions?
>>

> Linda, your wording seem to be giving me crossed wires a little. Word
> does not create presentations, PowerPoint does. Openoffice.org does open
> PowerPoint presentations, but some formats like Publisher it will not
> open (neither will Word I believe).
>
> Ideally you should tell us the format of the saved file you have. That
> is it's three or four letter suffix after the file name. You may need to
> right click the file and select "Properties" from the context sensitive
> menu to read this information. A Word document will be either
> thefile.doc or thefile.docx probably. A PowerPoint presentation will
> likely be thefile.ppt, thefile.pptx, thefile.pps or thefile.ppsx.
>
> For more file formats and extensions see here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Office_programs
> Extensions types supported can be found under the individual programs.

If it was a ppt file she was trying to open in Impress; she may well have
had problems.  Impress is the "least" compatible of an otherwise
fantastic suite as far as I'm concerned.  I've had all kinds of problems
opening old powerpoint files in Impress.  If you've got sound attached,
be prepared for less-than-sterling results.  Lots of my presentations
from last year, developed in 2007, had problems too with keeping text box
placement.  I also had problems with the fonts when I changed from MS
Office under XP to OOo under Ubuntu.  I've got the ms core fonts loaded,
but even still the font conversion in Impress wasn't very pretty.