On 22 February 2010 11:43, Rob Clement <r...@robbev.com> wrote:

> On 22/02/2010 09:11, Harold Fuchs wrote:
>
>> On 22 February 2010 01:08, James<bjloc...@lockie.ca>  wrote:
>>
>>  Writer used to have a function to change a word to title case.
>>> When and why was this removed?
>>> I hoped it would come back in 3.2. :-(
>>>

>>>  In my OOo 3.1.1 on Win XP Pro it has *not* disappeared:
>> Format>Character>Font Effects>Effects>Title
>>
>> The "Effects" in that path is a drop-down list; "Title" is one of its
>> elements.
>>
>>  James and Harold
>
> Why is this not included in >Format >Change Case?
>
> Thanks

I *think* the thinking is that the characters that you see after "Title
Case" has been invoked have *not* really been altered. In other words, the
ASCII/Unicode representation of those characters has *not* been changed.
It's an "effect". The "Change Case" option really does change the
ASCII/Unicode representation of the characters. You can see this by
copy/pasting a converted sample of each into a true text editor like Notepad
or vi. If you convert a lower case multi-word string to upper case using
Format>Change Case the string will apear as upper case after pasting into
the text editor. If you convert a multi-word lower case string to Tilte Case
it will still be lower case in the text editor even though Writer will show
the initial letter of each word as upper case.

The same applies to the other [pseudo-]conversions under the "Effects"
banner.

No, I don't understand why either. I think I'd prefer Title Case actually to
convert the characters. Presumably the authors have some "logic" behind this
decision ???

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England