On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Brewster Gillett <b...@fdi.us> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> bg:
>
> That's an intriguing notion. Since ZIPs only ever consist of numbers,
> why would it be preferable to store them as text? So as to avoid
> confusion with "real" numbers?
>
> jomali:
That's not entirely true. Extended zip codes are usually (often?) supplied
as Zip-Extension. Also, zip codes with leading zeroes have to be converted
on output, while no conversion would be necessary if they were preserved in
a text representation. I've also seen the equivalent to zip codes in foreign
countries including non-numeric digits. Granted, you may not have a present
need for foreign zip-type codes, but they do exist.

<snip>