James Knott wrote:
Richard Detwiler wrote:
ODF already compresses documents.

I've found that documents that contain a lot of pictures (like a newsletter I edit for a local club) can get quite large in file size. When converting such a document to pdf, depending on the settings that are chosen in the pdf export, a pdf file that is quite a bit smaller than the .odt file is possible, while maintaining reasonable image quality.

Now you're getting into the area of trade offs. Many image formats are already compressed. With PDFs you're trading image quality for smaller file size. Since the OP is sending photos, he might be concerned about image quality.

I totally agree; there are certainly trade offs between file size and image quality.

I'm also concerned about image quality for the pdf's that I create, as they are put on our club's web site for people to view. I always scrutinize the image quality of the pdf I create to make sure it still looks decent when viewed on a screen. I'll even blow it up to 200% or so to see things that might not be apparent at 100%.

My general experience is that a pdf can be created that is quite a bit smaller than the .odt file with perfectly acceptable image quality for on-screen viewing (which I think is what the OP needed).

I also send a pdf to a printing firm, in which case I use very a high quality (thus large size) pdf process, which gives a file size roughly equivalent to the original .odt file.