A friend sent me her university assignment to read and I noticed that all the underlined 'mistakes' were, in fact, correct but not spelt in the American way ... she is a very good speller, so I was quite surprised to see so many red underlines, and not surprised at all to see she was right and the spell checker was wrong.

She sent me a Word doc so my first thought was that somehow the M$ Word doc had reset my spell checker to US-English, but when I went to Tools > Options > Writing aids and Tools > Options > Language settings everything was set up for Australian English.

So, why is my Australian English spell checker behaving like and American English spell checker?

I would appreciate your advice and comment.

Many thanks,  James