Hi James,

James Elliott schrieb:
I am using OOo Draw (version 3.2.0 running under Windows XP) to prepare a newsletter and need to send it to the print shop in PDF format.

I would like to send it in as high a resolution as possible, preferably in "pre-press" form as offered in Corel Draw, so which of the options do I choose:

--- PDF/A-1a
--- Tagged PDF
--- Create PDF Form (default)
[snip]

I can use Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator to prepare my newsletter, but as I use OOo for everything else, I would like to use it here as well.
[snip]

When reading "print" and "newsletter" I would recommend you scribus. This tool is made for this task. I like OpenOffice Draw but for your task you should go with scribus: Color seperation, Color profiles, ...
Scribus is free as in freedom and free as in free beer.
If you need some fancy drawings for your newsletter just use inkscape (vectorgraphics) or gimp (rastergraphics) to prepare them.
http://www.scribus.net/
when buying the manual you support the developpers:
http://www.flesbooks.com/scribus1.3manual/

Franz