Larry Gusaas wrote:
On 2010/04/06 1:05 PM  openoffice.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:
Thanks, I hadn't realised it was possible to post to the list without subscribing.

Unfortunately it is.

Only joined myself a couple of weeks ago, and every other mailing list I've used requires subscription to post.

That is how a mail list should be run

How do I tell when replying to someone whether or not they are subscribed to the list?

You have to look for "Delivered-To: moderator for users@openoffice.org" in the headers

Or is the norm here to just copy to individual addresses (and those who are subscribed get two copies)?

Not the norm. Please don't.

These lists have been handled this way for a long time, and the debate has gone on just as long about whether subscription should be required or not. There are plenty of arguments on both sides. If anybody wants to see some of the points that have been made, I'll respond off-list. But this discussion doesn't belong here. For now, Mark, the current policy is that if you know somebody is not subscribed, you cc them directly on any response you send. If you don't or can't check the expanded header, you may get a message like mine, or you may not -- there's nothing formal in place. Otherwise, all messages are for the list only.