Michael Adams wrote:
On Thursday 08 April 2010 06:40, Dotan Cohen wrote:
Every line in your example document is a new paragraph. To see that more
clearly, click open the "View" and choose "Non-printing Characters". New
paragraphs are then marked with a symbol which looks like a backwards "P"
(also spaces show as a dot, and tabs as a right-pointing arrow).

To start a new line without starting a new paragraph, hold the Shift key
when pressing Enter, instead of just pressing Enter (with Non-printing
Characters shown, you see an arrow pointing down then left as is common
on the Enter key). The options for widow and orphan control or keep
paragraphs together then work. You might then want to change the "Indents
and Spacing" paragraph options to remove the indent.

You can set different options for different paragraphs, so changing them
at one point in the document won't affect the whole document. To save
having to change every individual paragraph's options (once you've
replaced new paragraph marks with new lines) you can modify the "Text
body" style - from the "Format" menu choose "Styles and Formatting",
right-click "Text body" and select "Modify..." and set whatever text
flow, indent and other options you want for the style.

Hope that helps.
Mark.
Thanks, Mark. That text was copied and pasted from a website. Is there
a way to convert all the New Paragraph marks to New Line marks? I
tried to do the same conversion once and failed to find a way, but
maybe it does exist.

I think this is bad advice, effectively changing the document to one paragraph just does not sound right to me.

Did you select all and then make the change? Were the affected paragraphs definitely selected? Select all does not work well after copy and paste from the net where DIV's get converted to sections and the sections get selected individually. In this case i usually click on the offending paragraph, then select all and make my change.

You may as a last resort need to copy the data out of the sections and from navigator then delete the sections.

It is a worry if paragraphs that were changed later revert. I have not seen this specific behaviour.

HTH

I think the issue is that there are both true paragraphs and paragraphs chopped apart by line wrapping into multiple pseudo-paragraphs when the text was copied from the web. The object is to remove the odd breakage points so that the text can flow normally, obeying widow and orphan settings. The extra paragraph breaks (but not the true ones), then, should be replaced with blanks. I can see how to do this, except it involves an Edit-Replace on a selection of the text that excludes replacement of the true paragraph breaks, which would be a real pain. But if I'm reading this right, there would be no way to distinguish the two kinds of breaks automatically.