On 2010-05-11 3:15 AM, Harold Fuchs wrote:
>> E-mail was designed for conversations. The clue is in the name:
>> "mail".

Harold, would you *please* stop initiating your reply *inside* the
quoted text of the person you are replying to?

So, what was the point of adding the 'FreeLunchGuy' to the subject? Your
inane way of trying to insult me?

Anyway, apologies to the list, but this one was just too ridiculous to
ignore... regardless, it will be my last on the subject...

> Like letters written with quill pens; two people conversing at a
> distance.

Apples and Orangutans... context is everything.

Exchanging letters is generally limited to only *two* people, with a
potentially large amount of time in between each letter.

Yes, an email exchange between John and his Mom is very similar to their
exchanging letters via snail mail.

But neither is even *remotely* similar to open email discussion lists,
where potentially dozens, hundreds, or even *thousands* of people can
participate. Such an environment requires some minimal rules to make it
work. Failure to acknowledge this means you are being disingenuous at
best, and at worst means you are either a troll or incapable of rational
thought (and yes, I acknowledge that by continuing this discussion on
list I'm breaking one of its rules).

'Carrying on a conversation' can only be done irt (in real time, ie,
face to face, on the phone, via IM, etc)... however it is an analogy to
the email 'conversation mode' mentioned earlier.

> e-mail *lists* came much later. One way commmunications were called, also
> appropriately, "bulletin boards"

Depends... a BBS that doesn't allow for replies, yes, but...

> and/or "news" groups.

Wrong again - I communicate the same way in newsgroups and forums as I
do via email (I consider email more convenient, but to each his/her own).