James Elliott - james.elli...@wn.com.au wrote:
I am writing a novel in Writer ver 3.2.0 running under Windows XP.  When
I save each chapter I first save it in odt format. I then save a PDF
version to send to my proof-reader by clicking on the PDF icon on the
button bar.

I first realise that something was wrong when, after saving the PDF
version, I could not find it.

So, I went back into the odt version and clicked on the PDF icon again,
but this time I watched very carefully what happened. The "Save as"
screen popped up and I noted that the "Save as type" field had defaulted
to ".odt", so it wasn't going to save as a PDF at all, just re save the
odt version.

The only way I can save in PDF format at the moment is to go to File >
Export ... or File > Export as PDF

Why is my PDF icon no longer working? I would be very much obliged if
someone could point me in the right direction.

Kind regards, James

No problem here with 3.2.0 on Windows 2000 or Vista. (The only problem I have had is that on Vista the PDF export defaults to saving in the last folder used, rather than the current document folder, but it doesn't sound like that's your problem.)

I guess the first thing to check is that you're definitely clicking the PDF export icon (looks like a page with text saying "PDF" at the bottom), and not "Save" or "Save As" icons (look like a floppy disks)?

What is the title at the top of the dialog where you enter a file name? You mention a "Save as" screen; is that the actual title of the dialog? The one from clicking the PDF button should have "Export" in the caption, not "Save as", although it otherwise looks similar to the save as dialog. For me, the PDF export dialog has only one option for the file type - PDF - and no others are available to be chosen.

It might be worth trying to remove the PDF icon from the toolbar and add it back again. From the Tools menu, select Customise, and click on the "Toolbars" tab. From the "Toolbar" dropdown menu, select "Standard", then scroll down the list of commands under "Toolbar Content" and click the tick next to the "Export Directly as PDF" command to remove it. Click OK to confirm the change. Do the same again to add the button back.

It might also be worth trying to recreate your user profile (I meant just the OpenOffice profile, not the whole Windows profile!) See http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58401#p58403 for instructions. (Everything from http:// to #p58403 is part of the address, in case it gets split across two lines)

Mark.