Andy,

Thanks for the comments. Response interspersed below.

"RA Brown" <rabr...@the-martin-byrd.net> wrote in message news:4bfb52ca.5060...@the-martin-byrd.net...

Hi Jerry,

Jerry Clancy wrote:
Win XP/Pro, OO 3.1, IE 8 (but happened in IE 7, too)

I am not sure how, after the last statement, it can be an OO.o issue. It would appear that it is an I.E. issue as OO.o is not opened to allow by Windows, the control over-ride.

I concur. It seems to be an IE issue to me as well, There remain, however, a possibility that the problem lies with the OO add-on to IE for swriter. I unregistered the plugin (so_activex.dll) so that IE doesn't try to open it directly in IE (an ugly result with the window screwed up and half the doc cut off and an emtpy bottom half).

If you have a link that you can pass on for one of the docs maybe someone running XP can help with the security setting.

The files are generated by our app from a special Files directory/cache and are deleted when the session is terminated. What I did was to copy one out to our server document directory before terminating the session. Then I tried this myself, directly opening the .rtf file I saved to the server docs folder. When the URL is entered into IE it opens the new Window and displays the .rtf file without a bleep or the need to hold down control.

Another piece of information: the file when downloaded never hits the Temporary Internet Files folder. This seems to point to some sort of possible Active-X/security/permissions issue that is overcome by holding the Ctrl key down. Could Writer be blocking this for some reason?

Dumping OO.o due to problems with IE or XP is not not helping you or the problem.

Actually, not true. Though probably an MS problem, doing this with MS Word works without the need for Ctrl and it would have saved me three days of grief. And perhaps several more coming.

One final note. In response to other advice outside this forum I also checked out if it was a possible MIME issue. Nope. "application/msword" for .doc also has the same problem (and so does having EI open a .doc file sent back).

Jerry