On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 17:42 +0100, The Attwoods - BT wrote:
> had microsft office publisher which i used to do birthday cards /invite etc
> on.
> computer crashed when got back had openoffice .org
>
> i am a techno thicko - how do i convert publisher files to openoffice.org???

Further to Daniels comments. Microsoft has not released the format that
publisher saves in for any other company to write a open-file-filter.
This is a ploy of Microsofts to keep you using and updating your
Publisher copy. It is called 'vendor lock-in' and is searchable on the
Internet.

The best option is to re-install Publisher from the original disc and
use 'Save As' to save as many .pub documents as possible to word .doc
documents or similar format. Then ditch publisher, asking the "how do i
achieve" type of questions here.

Second best option is to put these files all on a USB memory stick, ring
around the printing/photocopy/Internet-cafe businesses in your area
asking if they have publisher and get them to convert for you. These
businesses are listed in order of likelyhood of having publisher but
which is in inverse proportion to what it will cost you.

I have tried the online option as suggested by Bob:
http://www.zamzar.com/conversionTypes.php#documents
and had no luck with it personally. YMMV

HTH

--
Michael