From: Paul Topping [mailto:pa...@dessci.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:43 AM
To: users@openoffice.org
Subject: [users] Re: Regarding Mathtype support

Sigrid Carrera <sigrid.carrera <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Dear Prof. Lather,
>
> Am Wed, 26 May 2010 07:30:51 +0530
> schrieb "Dr. J. S. Lather" <jslather <at> nitkkr.ac.in>:
>
> > Dear Sir/Madam
> >
> > What I feel, the openoffice is not getting popular in scientific
> > community is because it has entirely different formula inserts. If
> > you can get in Openoffice the same kind of support Microsoft Word has
> > provided for MathType, then I think that Openoffice will be used
> > extensively in Universities worldwide.
>
> Are you aware, that OpenOffice.org has a formula editor? You can find
> it in the menu under "Insert > Object > Formula" (or something similar,
> I have a German version of OOo). You can use the editor like the one
> from Microsoft and click everything together. Or - and if you have many
> formulae to write - you might prefer to enter the code for your
> formulae with your keyboard. You can enter then something like
>
> sum {1 + 2} over {%pi}
>
> and it will look nice. This second version is much faster and less
> tiring then clicking on all the symbols. My husband, who is a
> mathematician, prefers the second method. :)
>
> I hope, this is of help for you.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sigrid Carrera

It is a common misconception that a "point and click: equation editor
requires
that one always use the mouse. In fact, both MathType, and its junior
version
that comes with MS Word and other apps, have supported a full set of
keyboard
shortcuts for years. The current version of MathType allows one to customize

the shortcuts and also supports input of TeX/LaTeX languages. This gives you

the best of all possible editing experiences. Choose the one that you like
best
and still get the ease of editing that a direct manipulation interface gives

you.

Paul