On 06/10/2010 07:03 AM, Harold Fuchs wrote:
On 9 June 2010 01:38, webmas...@krackedpress.com<webmas...@krackedpress.com
wrote:
I just looked at three older, unread, posts to this list that wanted
to have me send the Return Receipt that was "requested".  I have
my system setup to ask.  I get these Arab language emails outside
this list that want me to let them know I read their emails - SO they
can know that my email address was valid or I got it and not auto-deleted
by security software.

I really do not know why people ask for a return receipt that they request
from people reading - just reading - their posts to a list like this one.

I don't believe it's deliberate. I think it's a mixture of forgetfulness and
incompetence: they have forgotten that they have "request receipt" set and
in any case they don't realise the consequences.

How many people are signed up to get copies of these posts?
If only a few percent do agree to send such a return receipt, how many
email address would be returned to these people - for just reading, not
commenting on these posts?

I personally feel like such a request is just another form of data mining,
and/or
email collection, for those who are signed up for the forwarding of these
threads/posts
to their in-boxes to read.  If you comment, then your address "may" be seen
by the
readers.  I do not want someone to know that I read an individual
thread/post
and do not want to give people my email address saying I read their post.

I did not even know that Return Receipt Requests were allowed or not
stripped
of these posts when sent out to the readers of this list.

Did I not remember correctly?  Did I not get the change in policy about
placing
these requests?  I thought this list did strip any such request off before
we got them.

Well, this is my opinion about having three posts in a row ask for return
receipts.
I never send them unless I positively know the person [and know email
address] on the
other end.

Am I correct to question them?
Am I wrong about them?
I have said what I think about them, but I could be wrong.

Why not just set your e-mail client to "never send a receipt" and "don't
ask". If you see a message that's important your'e probably going to reply,
which is a receipt in itself. Alternatively, if it doesn't actually need a
reply, you could, if you think its necessary, just send a one-liner saying
"message received and understood". A receipt doesn't mean you've read or
understood the message, only that you (or someone with access to your
computer) opened it - possibly by accident.

Well I set Thunderbird up for "never send a receipt".

I do have to ask for receipts once and a while, and there are advantages of the return receipts.

I do not know why people would have return receipts checked for sending one for every email received. The only time that I would have something like that set, is when I will not be able to read my emails for a while - like on a trip or when a business person will be out of the office for a few days. I can set that up at my domain's email setup web pages. I have that setup for only one email, the address that allows for very large attachments. I set most of my email addresses to be semi-small, while that one can handle up to 1 gig of files. When people send such large files to me, taking a large amount of upload time to their email servers, I want them to know that I got the large file[s] and will download it next time I fetch my emails from that address. BUT having it set on for your default/daily email address is not a good idea. Now for every email you receive will generate 1 to 2 emails in return - one receipt, and one or more replies. There is just too much email traffic out there hogging the Net's bandwidth, thanks to spammers.

Also with all the emails I get, I do not need to have the extra receipts adding to my "transfer numbers", since I am charged if I go over my total amount of data/file size. I am near that large figure with the audio and video applications I have to deal with. Ever try to increase your DVD collection with old movies from Archive.com, and other sites with public domain videos and old movies, and then find out you wen over your total "transfer bandwidth", so you have to pay the extra fees to be able to read you emails for the rest of the month? I do not need the return receipt to add to my total, since I would loose too much.

But the point is, we should help with the reduction of emails being sent to your friend's or associates' email inboxes. That is a kind thing to do. I get too many emails I need to read now, for the time I have to do this. I do not need to sort through a large number of return receipts, especially because a large number of my emails go out to a large group of people, like emails to the members of a non-profit organization I am on the Board of.

AND BEFORE someone tells me that I should reduce the size of my emails to "lessen" the load, I included all this information to help show that it can be a bad idea to keep the return receipt turned on for all you incoming emails on your main/default accounts. This email address is used ONLY for newsletters, and I was told by a company NOT to send a return receipt when I signed up for the newsletter. I get a lot of e-newsletters, with this list being about 1/2 to 3/5 of the total traffic of this address.

[end of line]
[end of time]
[end of mind]