On 06/20/2010 11:02 AM, Daniel Lewis wrote:
Barbara Duprey wrote:
Pat wrote:
New to OO so this is probably a dumb question to the rest of you -

I run Secunia which goes through my computer and notifies me which programs can/should be updated. This week it said OO should be updated. So I wnet to www.openoffice.org but didn't, and still don't see any indication on that screen that there is an update to be installed. Went back to Secunia and used it to download the update. So why couldn't I find it on the OO site?

I did notice that through the Secunia site, the version of OO I had,
3.2.1 was deleted and a new version, 3.2.1 build 9502 was installed.

OR - does OO, on the www.openoffice.org site use the "I want to download OO" to mean that there is an update? If that is so, where on that page does
it tell you that there is an update?

dmean

Not a dumb question at all! For OOo, "update" means download the whole package, there are no incremental updates. (The main reason seems to be that it gets too messy trying to support the incremental updates on all the different platforms.) In general any fixes to 3.2.1 would be incorporated into a new "point level" (like 3.2.2) or more important level release (like 3.3.x). So I'm not sure why Seconia told you to update, but I'd recommend that you not update at least until a new stable release is announced. That tends to get talked about here, as well as other places.

     I can think of a couple of reasons for this happening.
If you had installed RC1 (release candidate version 1), then you would have OOo 3.2.1 on your hard drive. But it would not be the latest version: the build for it would have been 94xx. If this is the case, then you should have downloaded and installed build 9502 as recommended by secunia. However, if you had installed 3.2.1 as either RC2 or the stable release, you installed 18m build 9502. (There is no difference between RC2 and the stable release as far as 3.2.1 is concerned.) There would have been no need to download and install OOo 3.2.1 as you already had the latest stable release. Perhaps some of the mystery would disappear if we knew what the build number is for your earlier version of 3.2.1. Otherwise it is a matter of conjecture. The next scheduled release is for 3.3.0 due out this fall so relax until then as far a new version of OOo.

Dan

For me, Ubuntu/Debian is a hassle to update - due to an application issue. I am running 3.2.0 Build:9483. With this issue, I have to wait till some repository gets the 3.2.1 in it. That same was from 3.1.x to 3.2.x which needed an upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04. If there is some other "SAFE" repository out there that get OOo upgrades and updates faster than Ubuntu/Debian's repositories, I would like to know. If I could figure out how to get rid of the listings in the Applications menus, that would solve some of the troubles.