Hi Cor,

OK, we are down to the nub of my question:
In a message dated 2010.07.06 08:18 -0500, Cor Nouws wrote:

... is the point that OOo will not recognize a data field unless it
is registered, and provides no way to explicitly specify an
unregistered field?

Yes, that is correct. Registering is mandatory.

With WordPerfect I have merged form fields to external data sources of many types - Quattro, Excel, PlanPerfect, DataPerfect, Notebook (a WordPerfect flat-file app) - without prior registration. [I believe I have also used a database managed by Access, but can't find an example of that right now.] I suppose it must just, on the fly, parse those files as OOo parses DataAccess.xcu for merges in Writer. Essentially, OOo must do that same parse in registration.

John