On 07/09/2010 10:56 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
FYI: I am a programmer who works primarily in Linux, but I am
unfamiliar with Writer. I am asking this question on behest of my
wife who is an author and is transitioning from MS-Windows.

Here is the scenario. She is running Spell Check. She is shown a
suggestion. The phrase is:
"Gee Willikers -- the newlyweds". 'Willikers' is highlighted and
a series of suggestions are shown.

1)Suppose she believes that the correct spelling is not among the
choices "suggested". How can she add to the list of suggestions
or go to the phrase and edit it?

2)Can she be taken directly to the line in question? I can see that
when the Spell Check Window comes up, that the page and line of the
phrase in question are notated at the bottom of the Writer screen,
but what is the process to get to it?

thanks
Do you not have the ability to "Add Word" in your version of the default spell checker?

I have add a lot of words and names to the list.

Several ways to get to the spell checker - so not going there

Once you get to the suggestions, you will see the option of the "Add" button. If the word/name is the proper spelling click "Add" then choose the dictionary you wish to add it to [if given more than one option]. I then click on "standard [All]" since on my Linux version tat is the only option I get. On Windows, I use to have several options, but I do not know if with the newer version of OOo that has changed.
Ubuntu Linux is my default OS now.

As for an Author using OOo, one of my favorite ones, "Piers Anthony" of Scifi and fantasy fame", has used Linux and OOo for a long time. Actually he started with Star Office and then
switched to OOo when it came out of its first beta version.

To be honest, I am a bad speller and typist and need spell checking all the time. I found that I liked OOo's spell check system better than Word's when I had to use Word. Actually if I have to do a Word document, I create it in OOo and save into the .doc format.

To answer another part of your question:
If the word is highlighted and there is no suggestions that works, plus you do not know if the spelling is correct, you can use the "Ignore" options. The only option to go to is the standard dictionary books. There use to be a book that had misspelled words for lookup and then gave you the correct spelling. I have a very big dictionary to fall back on. There
was a phrase book as well.

Then, there is the options of adding grammar checkers to help with the phrasing of your text. That can help a lot. After 3 strokes, my typing and word skills are degraded and many times I type words that are correctly spelled, but they are the wrong work [ this should have been word ]. Grammar checking may or may not help there, but any tools you can add to help is something I sure need. I also use text to speech as well, to help with the text wording.

Go to the Extensions section of the OOo web site.
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/

You will find several add ons that will help. Look for Language tools, spelling dictionaries and tools, grammar checking, and other such topics. You may find add ons that fit your needs
and your wife's needs.

Note: I have been using Writer/OOo since its early days of 0.x and 1.x when it used a different default file format option [.sxw]. I have been using Writer/OOo as my main office suite ever since. Until I switched all my computers [except on laptop] to Linux, I no longer use MS Office, but still am able to use its .doc and other default formats with Writer/OOo. More and more governments, local, regional, national, plus businesses and schools are using OOo and dumping MS Office. I am "helping" everyone I know switch as well. It helps that it is free as well.