On 07/27/2010 04:45 AM, Jean Lear wrote:
> I cannot send a copy in the body of this e mail but will try to
> describe the layout.
> In the top left hand corner of the (business size) card is a logo which is
> approx two and a half cm wide by three cm high.
> Below that in size 10 font are two lines of words -
> 'MEMBER    2222
> Membership Expires 2 April 2011'
> This leaves the upper right hand part of the card where the mail merge
> inserts the members first name on one line and second name on the next line.
> With Publisher the text entered with 'Text Best Fit' would allow the
> name to be entered to fill the space.  The font size would vary according to
> the number of letters in the name could be from 48 down to 24.
> In OO Writer the font size depends on the longest name in the
> merge which applies then to all cards.
> Hope you can understand all that.
> meld...@gmail.com

Please bottom post on this list; meaning in gmail just move your cursor
to the bottom of this and then reply - thanks :-)

I'm not sure, but I _think_ you may be able to do this by using a frame
where the member name is inserted.
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Writer_Guide/Frames_for_page_layout>
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Writer_Guide/Working_with_frame_styles>
I know you can autosize the frame to the object, but do not know if you
can autosize the object/text to the frame in Writer (you can do this in
Impress).

If you can send the basic .odt template then I/we can experiment with
the mailmerge name section & possibly provide you with a solution. The
list will accept small .odt's, or you can send it to me directly.

Gary