On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Earl Melton <earlemel...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks Gordon,
>

> On 07/30/2010 11:12 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>
>> If it's an address database then Open Office can use that for mailing
>> labels and such like...
>>

> So would you say there is really no reason -- privacy, security, or
> otherwise -- to [not] register it? IOW, nobody besides me is going to see it
> or have editing access to it? Sorry to be so paranoid, but 25+ years of
> working mostly with Uncle Bill's software can do that to a guy. :-)
>
> <snip>

It might help you to read OOo help first. The help file says:

"Data from any database file can be registered to OpenOffice.org. To
register means to tell OpenOffice.org where the data is located, how it is
organized, how to get that data, and more. Once the database is registered,
you can use the menu command *View - Data source* to access the data records
from your text documents and spreadsheets."

Thus, you should always register a database. In case you are wondering,
registering does not mean sending data to any outside destination. It is a
local registration like entering data in the registry in Windows.

Jomali