On 8/26/2010 11:41 PM, NoOp wrote:
On 08/25/2010 09:56 PM, John Kaufmann wrote:
In a message dated 2010.08.25 18:02 -0500, NoOp wrote:
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Writer_Guide/Form_controls_reference>

I have no doubt that you have a better grasp of the big picture than I
have, but I have never found any tools in Writer forms for sizing and
positioning other than dragging with a mouse [which in my hands, at
least, is not about precision ;-) ].  I just looked at your reference
and found nothing about "Anchor", "Guides" or "Alignment". (That said, I
think I know what Writer means by "anchors" and "alignment", and
neither, in the common understanding, is about sizing and positioning.)
Similarly, it seems that "Guides" are just the visible guides to assist
graphical sizing and positioning.  Could I ask you to point to a guide
(in the instructive sense) to sizing and positioning?

These are what I was referring to:

Form Design toolbar
Image:FormPositionSize.png Position and Size     Launches the Position and
Size dialog box, allowing you to specify both by typing in precise
values, rather than dragging the control. You can also lock the size or
position, so they do not get changed accidentally. For some controls,
you can rotate and set the slant and corner radius.

Image:FormAnchor.png Change Anchor      Just as with a frame, any form
control can be anchored to page, paragraph or character and also
anchored as a character (meaning that it behaves like any other
character on the page).

Image:FormAlign.png Alignment   The Alignment button is disabled unless
the control is anchored as a character. You can align a control in
different ways, for example so the top of the control lines up with the
top of the text or the bottom lines up with the bottom of the text.

Do those not work for you?

They work, but when I print a page with form fields on it, the field is bordered with line, which will not work on an OCR form. I have looked but not yet found a way of turning off the borders.
Suggestions ?

bill