On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 14:37 +1000, Dave Barton wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 20:43 -0700, Tim Hanson wrote:
> > I have the original beta that shipped with SuSE 9.3, and would like to
> > update
> > to one of the newer snapshots.  All the files are named *.i586.rpm.  Will
> > these work on 64 bit?  If not, is there something I can use without
> > compiling
> > the whole thing?
>
> Yes Tim OOo will work. I have run several versions 1.9.xxx.586 on SuSE
> 9.3 64bit and have not experienced any problems.
>
> HTH
> Dave

Just as an extra little pointer. I believe the beta of OOo included with
9.3 is a SuSE modification, so it might be wise to uninstall the SuSE
version before installing the OOo build.

The installation method I use is as follows:

Use Ark to extract the files. When the tar package is extracted it
creates sub-directories "RPMS" and "RPMS/desktop-integration".
As root:
cd some-directory/RPMS
rpm -Uvih *rpm
If there are no errors.
Use Package Manager to install the SuSE menus package found in the
"RPMS/desktop-integration" directory.

Dave