On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 16:59 -0700, RA Brown wrote:
> Brewster Gillett wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 16:19 -0700, RA Brown wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> We have been seeing a lot of discussion about printing envelops from
> >> OpenOffice.org.  I decided to try and do something about it.
> >
> > bg:
> >
> > I will once again offer my totally printer-independent solution
> > that dates back nearly 30 years; simply use a No. 10 window envelope.
> > Most letter layouts position the addressee's name & address pretty
> > much in the ballpark for a good fit, requiring little or no
> > adjustment of your standard start point.
> >
> > Sometimes the shortest distance between two points is a side trip...
> > ... think out of the box!
> >
> > Brewster
>
> Hi Brewster,
>
> I agree 100% but that is not how it should work nor what people have
> been asking about.
>
> Thanks
> Andy

bg:

Well, they *are* seeking a solution. Sometimes when we go looking for a
solution, we confine our imagination to a much too narrow band.
That's exactly why I recommended that we think out of the box.

So I might only ask "How can I make Writer and my printer make nice
with each other to print on an envelope" where really I should be back a
couple of paces asking, "How can I manage to produce a finished product
that I can mail out to someone?"

I do recognize that the #10-window solution is not going to work for
everyone, in all the possible circumstances, but it *is* a possible
solution about which it could be useful to be aware. And I know from
long experience that it has not occurred to very many people.

So every so often I toss it out there again.

Brewster
Embrace a sharing community of sustainable justice low-carbon diversity