On 07/09/10 02:43, NoOp wrote:
I'm wondering about creating a presentation, actually for a church
service. This will have slides for song words etc in the usual way. But
part way through, it would be advantageous to have a live feed from a
video camera within the church, and to have the video from this appear
on-screen as part of the presentation.

Obviously one could stop/pause impress, switch to a different app and
show the live video, then switch back to impress for the rest of the
service, but this looks a very clumsy approach and I was hoping (vainly
perhaps?!) for something a little smoother.

Hope that's clearer! But I most strongly suspect I'm out of luck :-{

Got it. Interesting project/concept, I'll do some experimenting&  see if
I can figure out a way to do this. What OS&  version of OOo?

Choice of ubuntu 10.04/OOo 3.2 or XP/3.x. I'm sure any solution would be highly OS-dependent.

But I've been hunting high and low, found nothing remotely resembling this idea. Not even on someone else's wish-list :-{

Generalizing a bit, I'd say what's needed within OOo is a way to embed windows maintained by other helper applications, although how a continuous update could then occur, I can't imagine (or even if it's possible in general). Even a facility within Impress to 'run external app, background myself and wait till it exits' would help...... hmmm, sounds like a shell, and thinking about it, maybe /that/ could be done with a macro: I'll have to look into that. It's all a bit theoretical at the moment, thank goodness.

Thanks for the reply, btw.

--
Mike Scott