On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, Brian Barker wrote:

It's a bit unfair to keep your current attempts a secret and to expect people to guess where you have gone wrong.

  You saw that below.

That's not entirely clear, I'm afraid - and this may be the source of your
problem.  Do the cells contain these values as numbers or as text which
just happens to consist only of digits?  If you have perhaps inherited
these values from somewhere and are not sure, just go to View | Value
Highlighting (or Ctrl+F8); numbers will show in blue and text values in
black.  (Green means a formula.)

  Thank you. I use OO.o Calc infrequently and could not find the information
I needed in the help text.

Rich