On Friday 24 Sep 2010 00:28:46 John Bowling wrote:
>   I have columns that contain addresses.
> Column A is number and street as in '1234 N Main'
> Column B is the building and unit number as in 'F456'
> Column C is the address as it would be placed on an envelope: '1234 N
> Main F456'
> I need to indicate in another column if the combination of column A
> concatenated to column B is exactly the same as column C.
> In OO calc, When concatenated, it becomes '1234 N MainF456' (trailing
> spaces are deleted by OOcalc) so they never can be equal.
>
> So, I'm reverting to using the .csv of the spreadsheet, and then using
> bash (in Linux) to do the compare where I can extract specific
> characters, then rebuilding the .csv using bash. CLI always comes
> through when GUI fails!
>
> By the way, the newly re-written help functions on the Internet for calc
> still tell you to use ';' when only '.' is valid.
>
> John

<snipped unsubscribe info>
John,
I tried it out - on Linux, running OOo310m19(build 9420)
[3.1.1-19-13.fc11].
I have cell
A1 with "1234 N Main " [space after the Main]
B1 with "F456" [no spaces before or after the value]
C1 has the formula "=concatenate(A1;B1)", and results in
"1234 N Main F456" [which is what I expected - the space after
'Main' is preserved]
Note that I have enclosed the values/formula/results with double
quotes in this email for clarity : they are not there in the
Spreadsheet.

I am afraid I have no clue to the problem, unless I can see the file
in question.  Should you so desire, and if you have no sensitive
info, or can sanitize the info, can you send me the file, off the
list, so that I can look at it ?

Pradeep Sinivas
on 24 Sep 2010, Friday, IST (which is GMT +05:30)
Goofy Definitions!
Jury:
        Twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer.