On Oct 3, 2010, at 8:23 PM, Brewster Gillett wrote:

>> Sergio Ferreira wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I downloaded OpenOffice, however I only need to use the "Calc Spreadsheet"
>>> component.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to install only one component, and if so where can I find
>>> the instructions?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Sergio Ferreira
>
> James Knott wrote:
>
>> While it is possible to only install Calc, it won't save you much,
>> because OpenOffice.org is an integrated package, with much of the code
>> shared among components.  Also, if you don't install all of it, you may
>> lose some function in the part you want.
>
> bg:
>
> Not to mention that, when you can buy a 2TB hard drive for $99,
> what's the point of trying to save a handful of gigabytes anyway?

There are many reasons why someone might be working with restricted memory or
drive space.  I'm working on a system that will us OOo, but will be heaadless
(OOo will be run through VNC) and will have no more than 2 GB of RAM and
probably only 2 GB of drive space.  Not everyone is using a desktop or laptop
system.

Hal