This is just a point of idle curiosity.

I have used OOo for many years, currently 3.1.1 (from OOo, not the
repos) on Fedora 11 x86_64. I do not have MS Office installed on any of
my computers.

Recently I have been working on an Impress presentation (on Scribus,
not OOo) that I will give to a local Linux user group at the end of
November. This evening the group had a meeting, so I brought my Impress
file with me on a USB stick.

The meeting is held in a classroom at a local university. My purpose in
bringing what I had done so far on the USB stick was to see if it
worked with the projector in the classroom. I did not bring my computer
with me. The university maintains OOo on just about all its computers,
all of which run XP.

With the classroom computer running XP I looked all over for OOo,  but
apparently it was not installed on the computer in this classroom. Just
to be sure I hadn't missed it I decided to double-click on the Impress
file. I reasoned that if OOo was installed on the computer,
double-clicking on the file should launch Impress and the file.

I was stunned when MS Office Powerpoint appeared on screen with my
Impress file.

I did not know that MS Office had OOo import filters. I knew that OOo
does a great job of opening MS Office files, but I thought that MS
ignored OOo.