webmas...@krackedpress.com ha scritto:
 On 10/11/2010 08:27 AM, Marcello Romani wrote:
Il 10/10/2010 14:14, webmas...@krackedpress.com ha scritto:
Well, Ubuntu 10.10 came out today [ not RC version ].

Included with it, finally, is OOo version 3.2.1

It would be nice if they [ Ubuntu and Debian ] would update
OOo in their repositories more often than every 6 months.

Yes, I know that people can download OOo in .deb and install it
in a way that will deal with the Applications/Menu problems that
I keep having.  I just have to remember where I put that paper [file]
that contains the instructions to do so.

Yet, I wonder why when a major software package like OOo comes
out with an update, or even an upgrade, that it takes so long for it
to appear in the repositories.  Other open-source packages are
updated in the Ubuntu/Debian repositories and are seen in the
daily/weekly
checks with the Update Manager, but not OOo.

I know that this type of question should be posted to an Ubuntu forum,
which I have but with no answers in return, but here are the people who
are most affected by that lack of updating, the OOo users running
Ubuntu/Debian.

I wonder if a large number of us Ubuntu/Debian users who use OOo as
our main, or only, office package get together and "ask real nicely",
would
something be done to solve the problem?

There is a movement to make Ubuntu the OS that will compete with Windows
as the OEM installed operating system.  The movement wants to make a
Linux OS that will run as easy as Windows [ to the general public use to
Windows ]
and make installing and upgrading software packages as easy as Windows
users expect it to be.

Maybe if the users of the #1 MS Office replacement get together and
somehow
get Ubuntu/Debian to add OOo updates and upgrades to their daily/weekly
repository updating system, instead of waiting for their six month OS
update/upgrade
schedule.

Well, it is time to get Ubuntu 10.10 on all my non-Windows systems.

I think this delay in including the latest version of big software
packages like OOo has something to do with making sure that it plays
nice with the software ecosystem that a distro is.
Also, I'm not 100% sure but I think Ubuntu also applies some
modifications to the vanilla OOo distrib., so I guess every time a
major version of OOo comes out they first have to apply their mods to
it, then test is and only then can they add to the official repos.
All this takes time, and a new distro is due every six months, so...

Just a speculation...

Interesting
I wonder what mods they do?  The only thing I noticed different is the
splash screen image
between Windows, Ubuntu, and OOo' .deb versions.  The rest seems the
same to me.

Of course the "major version" idea does not seem to apply between 3.2.0
and 3.2.1, or
does it?

Of course it should not :-)
There's another possibility: they think upgrading OOo is a low priority task, since it works "well enough".

Or, they're just lazy :-)