James Elliott wrote:
I have a lot of business document templates on my old Win XP computer and wish to transfer most, but not all, to my new Win 7 computer.

Is it just a matter of finding the template folder and copying them across, or is there more than one folder involved?

I look forward to your advice

Many thanks,  James
Search for all files using this format: *.ot? All templates have a file extension that begins with "ot". The question mark in searches tells the computer to look for all file extensions whose first two letters is "ot". Included will be ott (Writer), oth (Writer HTML), ots (Calc), otp (Impress), and otg (Draw). (You probably will not have all of these file extensions.) These files may or may not be in one folder. Copy the template files you want to transfer and paste them to your Win 7 computer. Suggestion: if they were not in a single folder on the Win XP computer, create a template folder and paste the templates into this folder. The Standard toobar contains an icon labeled "New Document from Template". If you make this icon visible, you can use this icon to access, organize, or add templates. "File > New > Documents and Templates" menu path will open the same dialog as when you click this icon. When I am transferring templates from one computer to another, I place the templates in a single folder. Then I open the Templates and Documents dialog. Then I click the Organize button. Then I click "My Templates" to highlight it. Then I click the Commands button, and then click "Import Template" from context menu. I browse to the templates in the template folder I created. I highlight all of the templates and then click the Open button. All of the templates will now be listed in My Templates. I added the last paragraph because you might not know how to organize all of the templates at the same time. In the past, I have used this process one template at a time. It is much quicker to highlight all the templates when organizing them than to highlight one template at a time.

HTH

Dan