Michael Adams wrote:
On Sunday 24 October 2010 06:59, AG wrote:
Question about Base.

In table I defined a field "date" to take year only (I don't want days
or months) for article publications.  I selected user defined in the
field properties and stipulated YYYY.  The example shows up as 1903 and
the format field shows 1900.

Now into the user form input, I enter 1991 into the date field and tab
to the next field and the date converts into today's date with the
format 23/10/10.

How do I stop Base doing what it wants to do and make it to do what I
want it to do?

Irrespective of the format it is viewed in, a date is stored in full format.

You have two options:
  * format your input field.
  * store the year as a number (Integer).

HTH
     Most likely you only have one option:
     * store the year as an Integer.

The properties dialog (Properties: Date Field) controls how dates are displayed in a Base Form. There are thirteen formats to choose from, but YYYY is not one of them. My conclusion: a date field cannot display a date in the YYYY format.