I created a presentation in Impress (3.1.1 from OOo, not from the
repositories, on Fedora 11, x86_64) in which I used the fonts Bitstream
Vera Sans Regular and Bold. When I export to PDF all text appears as
just blank boxes for the letters. I get the same view of the PDF with
Adobe Reader, Okular, Evince, and a couple other PDF viewers that I have
installed.

Then I tried printing to file. I did this several times using different
printer drivers (I have six Postscript printers installed, including
one with Adobe PS Level 3). When I open the .ps file I find that the
text appears, but somehow Times was substituted for the Bitstream Vera
Sans. And the text appeared without font metrics. Also all color was
converted to grayscale, even though one of the printers is full color.

If I print to paper on a plain Laserjet using the PCL driver all the
text prints, but without font metrics, and only the bold prints in Vera
Sans; somehow Times was substituted for the regular. If I print to the
same printer using the (genuine Adobe) Postscript driver all the text
prints, but Courier regular was substituted for both fonts; and again
without font metrics.

I verified that Bitstream Vera Sans regular and bold are properly
installed. I did this by opening Scribus and setting some type with the
Vera Sans fonts. Scribus is a layout app that will never substitute a
font. I also used Fontmatrix to verify that the fonts are correctly
installed.

I am out of ideas. Any suggestions are welcome.