On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 16:10:42 -0400
"webmas...@krackedpress.com" <webmas...@krackedpress.com> dijo:

>On 11/01/10 15:29, NoOp wrote:
>> On 10/31/2010 11:54 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>>> I created a presentation in Impress (3.1.1 from OOo, not from the
>>> repositories, on Fedora 11, x86_64) in which I used the fonts
>>> Bitstream Vera Sans Regular and Bold. When I export to PDF all text
>>> appears as just blank boxes for the letters. I get the same view of
>>> the PDF with Adobe Reader, Okular, Evince, and a couple other PDF
>>> viewers that I have installed.
>>>
>>> Then I tried printing to file. I did this several times using
>>> different

>> What happens when you print to a cups-pdf printer?

The resulting PDF has all the fonts converted to Times, and no font
metrics.

>That is my default "printer" for Ubuntu 10.10.  I created a test
>document with 60 script
>and handwritten fonts in it and printed it via cups-pdf.  Then I copied
>it over to a
>Vista machine that had only 2 or 3 of those fonts installed.  The
>documents showed
>the correct fonts when I viewed in with Adobe Reader 9.  So it seemed
>to embed the
>fonts properly via cups-pdf on Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit.
>
>I rarely use OOo's Export to PDF anyways.
>
>ALSO, if you use Windows, use doPDF.  It is a free PDF printer that
>embeds the fonts properly.  That is what I use on the Vista system.

Fedora 11 x86_64 with OOo 3.1.1 from OOo, not the repositories.

The problem is only Bitstream Vera family. I have hundreds of other
fonts installed, including Adobe OTF Pro fonts. OOo is happy to embed
and print all of them, all except the Bitstream Vera family. At the same
time all my other apps (Abiword, Scribus, etc.) will print and embed
the Bitstream Vera family without a problem.

According to the license information (viewed with Fontmatrix), these
fonts came with the Gnome desktop.

It is clearly a bug in OOo 3.1.1. Eventually I will move up to 3.2,
which hopefully will resolve the problem. In the meantime, for this
project I just changed all the fonts to DejaVu.

For those not aware, DejaVu is a FOSS remaking of the Bitstream Vera
family, adding additional glyphs and eliminating any question about
licensing. A lot of distros are now shipping with DejaVu instead of
Bitstream Vera. Evidently Gnome hasn't got there yet.