On 11/10/10 05:55, Linda L. Hull wrote:
> We had a power failure, my UPS didn't last.
>
> When I try to open Open Office from either Applications > Office or
> command line, it gets half way and stops.
>
> I have Ubuntu 9.04, and OpenOffice 3.01 I think.
>
> :~$ soffice -writer 2009-06-17usernamesspreads.xls
>
> ** (soffice:13172): WARNING **: unable to get gail version number
> ^C
> :~$ soffice -calc 2009-06-17usernamesspreads.xls
>
> ** (soffice:13193): WARNING **: unable to get gail version number
> :~$ error - missing word count in dictionary file
> Hash Manager Error : 4
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Linda

Any reason you did not upgrade your system to Ubuntu 10.10?
Ubuntu uses Go-oo version and 10.10 upgrades it to 3.2.0.

Myself I used the instruction in the following link to use OOo's
web site Debian version of OOo.  Also, I needed to delete the
".openoffice.org" folder in my "personal home folder", i.e.
"home/timothy/.openoffice.org"

http://www.muktware.com/search/node/Install%20Openoffice.org%20in%20Ubuntu

Use the link and you should get a list of How To articles.  The one I
used is "How To Install OpenOffice 3.2.1 in Ubuntu".

You will have to reinstall your extensions for OOo, but that is just an
excuse to get the most up-to-date versions.

The deleting of the ".openoffice.org" then removing OOo from your system,
the way the article states, solved my issues when I had my crash.

I still have trouble with some other software, like DeVeDe, not working
anymore but that is another issue and unrelated to this list.

To be honest, the only way I could solve my problems, was to do a
clean install of OOo.  It may be easier for you to use the article to
remove Go-oo [make sure you delete .openoffice.org before the install]
and then use the repositories to reinstall it.  I would not though.  I
would download OOo's Debian version [Oracle] from the web site and
install that instead of Go-oo from the repositories that is a part of
Ubuntu 9.04, 9.10, 10.10, or whatever version number you are using.