On 11/17/2010 1:13 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
I am using 3.2.1 (downloaded from OOo) on Fedora 13 x86_64. I also use
Scribus for laying out books. However, Scribus does not (yet) have an
indexing feature.

I have discovered that using Adobe Reader one can open a PDF (as
exported from Scribus), then save from Reader as a text file. The text
file will have page breaks at the end of each page of the PDF. The text
file can then be opened in Writer, where Writer's indexing feature can
create the index. Once the index is created it can be saved as a
separate document and then imported into Scribus at the end of the
document.

The problem is the pagination. The text file does have a page break at
the point where each page of the PDF ended, but sometimes the amount of
text on a page in the PDF takes more than one page in Writer. Writer
then flows the text onto an extra page. For example, as an experiment I
opened an 11 page PDF in Reader, saved as text, and opened the text
file in Writer. In Writer it was 14 pages. The first page of the PDF
took about a page and a quarter, then Writer started a new page because
of the page break. The second page of the PDF all fit on one page in
Writer, but the third page took almost a page and a half so, again,
Writer added a page.

I'm trying to figure out some way to make Writer paginate only on the
page breaks and not create extra pages.

It sounds as if you're dealing only with text, and you're not going to need that once the index has been created. In that case, could you just set the font size small enough that the original text would always fit without flowing over the page boundary?