All three sorts are done on the entire columns (all the way down to the very very bottom of the spreadsheet). When I select the column, all I'm doing is clicking on the column headings (the "A" and the "B"). This way, if extra words were to be later added to the columns, the macro would still work correctly. Otherwise, if items are added later to the columns, the macro would have to also be changed. If you sort each pair of columns the same way (but manually) empty cells do not appear. Why does the macro cause this to happen if theoretically it is supposed to do exactly the same thing that I'm doing while recording the macro? Something isn't working right in the software.

-----Original Message----- From: RA Brown
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:57 PM
To: users@openoffice.org
Cc: jwconne...@live.com
Subject: Re: [users] Re: reporting bug with openoffice calc

On Sat Nov 20 2010 16:00:05 GMT-0800 (PST)  John Connelly wrote:
And please remember, when recording the macro I sorted columns A & B, THEN C & D, THEN E & F. These sorts have to be done separately in order to produce a completely random sentence at the bottom. However, when using the macro, the Television is always Red and Small. This is not supposed to be the case. If the three pairs are sorted separately, then sometimes the Television might be Blue and Expensive for example.

Using the last file you sent I do not see the same, "The Television is
always Red and Small".  The words are changing.  I only see that some of
the cells in the first four columns are empty and if one of those cells
happens to be in the 2nd row then the sentence has a blank space where
the word should be.

Are all the sorts done on the full 20 rows?

I redid the recorded macro sorting in pairs, A&B, C&D and E&F with the
full 20 rows and do not see any problem with the sorting.

Still working on it.

Andy