On Sun Nov 21 2010 12:46:06 GMT-0800 (PST)  BlueBrooke wrote:
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 12:14:25 -0800, RA Brown
<rabr...@the-martin-byrd.net> wrote:

On Sun Nov 21 2010 11:30:57 GMT-0800 (PST)  BlueBrooke wrote:
I need to put the list of directory/folder contents in a column.  Can
anyone give me an idea how to do that? For instance, the directory contains:
IMG0001.JPG
IMG0002.JPG
IMG0003.JPG

I'd like this list to appear in the spreadsheet.  How do I do that?
I'm guessing I need to import a text file -- but I don't know how to
get the information into the text file to begin with -- without
retyping or copying and pasting, which kind of defeats the purpose.
:-)
TIA
What operating system?

Sorry -- Windows XP.

From the Start menu select Run. In the box type in command then click on the OK button. Use CD to change to the directory you want to list. You may what to use Windows Explore to locate the files in a directory off of the root directory to make it easier since spaces are not allowed in DOS path names.

One where you want to be, at the dos prompt type in

dir /d *.jpg > filelist.csv

This will list all the jpg files in the text file filelist.csv.

Open the filelist.cvs in notepad and delete all none needed text. Save the file. The file can now be opened with Calc and places the listing in the A column.

HTH