J. Magalhães Cruz wrote:
I have always found quite difficult to fully control with ease the
usage of list anf numbering of paragraphs, both by direct formatting
and by using styles.
Before raising an issue in Issuezilla, I would like to ask anyone the
following question:
"Why are list/numbering formatting and styles separated from paragraph
formatting and styles?"

Thanks all
José

I am just hypothesizing here.

It is probably because they are two different things. I might want to
start a #ed list, but I don't want the paragraph formatting to change.

This is exactly the problem that I face, Peter. I try just to insert an automatic numbering in paragraphs that already were formatted in a specific way, and their indenting is changed!

My point is: the list numbering of paragraphs should be independent of the general paragraph formatting.

It can be, in the second example in your document. You can format the list to look how you want if you edit the position settings in the Bullets & Numbering setup.

So, why not just to add it to the “Format|
Paragraph" window?

Because this gives flexibility. Using the numbering tab in the paragraph format window like you did in your 3rd example, you can achieve what you want, but if you need to use several different number formats in the your document, and don't want to change paragraph formats, then you still can.

On the other side, the “Bullets and Numbering” feature can not be separated from general paragraph formatting; so, why is it that it has its own independent window?

All elements in the paragraph, frames, graphics, etc..., use the paragraph formatting. It is often best to create a whole different paragraph style if you are going to make a numbered list. For instance when I type labs for my students to do, I have a separate paragraph style called "Procedure". When I change to that style, the numbering automatically starts and all the formatting is how I want it. I also have a paragraph style for objectives which uses bullets. Do you see what I mean?

Finally, please note hierarchical lists could also, very well, be integrated and handled inside “Format|Paragraph”.

You could do everything that way, but that would take away from the flexibility that is currently afforded. You can either have many different Num/Bullet styles in one paragraph styles, or you can have a paragraph styles linked to a certain Num/Bullet style. It merges the best of both worlds.

Please, If you have the opportunity, try the following example:
http://www.fe.up.pt/~jmcruz/ooo.tests/test-format-parag-list.sxw
 and tell me what you think!

I did, and I don't understand your complaint. You can achieve the same look all three ways.

HTH,
--
Peter Kupfer -- Using OOo since 'OO4 -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Want to help? http://www.oooauthors.org