At 17:06 08/01/2011 -0800, Brewster Gillett wrote:
But as it happens, that is *exactly* what I want. A blank line, every other row, demarcated by the half-tone grid I prefer. IOW a space in which to manually add new data as it arises, for later transcription.

Aha!  That wasn't clear anywhere ...

1.  Put your spreadsheet values in alternate rows.

That would have the exact effect I seek, but doing it reminds me so much of using a goose nib and an inkwell that I have a difficult time accepting it as a solution :-)

Sorry, but if you want a grid with alternate rows empty, what is old-fashioned about constructing exactly that: a spreadsheet with alternate rows empty?

Going back and manually inserting a row after every existing row, as in No. 1, doesn't even bear thinking about...

Er, no-one suggested doing this manually. If you knew this was what you wanted, you could have entered your data this way originally, of course. If not, there will be fairly simple ways of converting what you have into what you want. Suppose, for example, you have data in consecutive cells of column A on Sheet1. In Sheet2, put into cell A1
  =IF(ISODD(ROW());INDIRECT("Sheet1.A"&(ROW()+1)/2);"")
Now fill this down the column. A1 on Sheet2 becomes a copy of A1 on Sheet1, A2 on Sheet2 is empty (a null string), A3 on Sheet2 is a copy of A2 on Sheet1, and so on. The ROW() function identifies the row number in which the formula appears. ISODD() distinguishes odd-numbered rows - in which a value is copied - from even-numbered ones - in which the null string is the result. (ROW()+1)/2 calculates the row number on Sheet1 from which the current value should be copied: row 1 from row 1, row 3 from row 2, row 5 from row 3, and so on. Concatenating this row number with "Sheet1.A" creates the description of the required source cell, but this is still a text string and not a cell reference. The INDIRECT() function makes this last conversion and retrieves the value you require.

If you do this for a few columns and perhaps reconstruct formulae for any derivative columns, you will soon have what you need.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker