I'm using OpenOffice 3.2.1, downloaded like a week ago onto my new
(Win 7) laptop.  On my other computer, a Linux desktop, I have
OpenOffice 2.

When I view a file created on the Linux box/OO2 over on the
laptop/Win/v3, usually any "Note" I've inserted displays to the side
margin... but with the letters of the text spaced so far apart they
can't be read.  No editing of that note can happen; I can't click into
the note in any way, the only options are "Reply" and "Delete."  I
suppose "Comment" has replaced "Note" under the Insert menu?  But
there seems to be no backwards compatibility.

So far, I'm liking the old Notes better.

Also, when I right-click a document (saved as Word doc) and look at
Properties, two of the tabs crash explorer.exe.  I suspected the
Avast! (antivirus) shell extension but when I stop that process it
keeps happening.  Only two out of the six tabs don't display/crash the
Windows shell: Summary and Document Statistics.

?